Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Music

The power of music never ceases to amaze me. Even though it is such an "everyday" part of my life, I am always seeing or experiencing something new. Let's be honest: as a music major, my days are spent in a practice room, practicing somewhere outside of the practice room, in music-related courses, or with my headphones in my ears. Oh, and let's not forget the random outbursts of song throughout the day!

As I've been getting deeper into creating my characters and doing character work this semester, it has continually amazed me that I am connecting to so much music on deeper levels than I thought possible. Knowing that, I feel sort of hypocritical. I mean, I've read about the studies and articles stating how deeply connected humans are with music. I know that music can reach Alzheimer's and dementia patients better than some other therapies. I've heard it all, or said it all, at some point or another.

But why am I surprised when a song brings me to my knees? Why am I surprised when just hearing a line of a certain hymn causes my heart to swell with joy? Why am I surprised that it affects me so much?


The best answer I have is that my Creator is constantly showing me new (to me) wonders. The best, and sometimes most frightening, experiences are those in which He gifts me with something new. A new melody line, a harmony, a single line from a song...I may not know what they go with, or what they're from. I may have never heard the song before in my life. But out of nowhere, I sometimes hear music inside of me. And usually, it manages to find its way out.

It's one of the most awe-inspiring things that I get to experience. And it never ceases to amaze me.


I am thankful for music, and for the way that I was created to respond to it. What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment