Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday

This week, I've been paying more attention to my body and actually starting to take care of it again. As I've been doing that, I've also been seeing the amazing things that it can do. Even though my body doesn't completely work like it should, even though some little everyday tasks-things that I never thought about before-are now difficult for me, my body is still able, and it is capable of doing things that I never would have dreamed of doing.

Like running. I'm actually training for a 5K right now! Before, running was always one of those things that I thought would be a "good idea" or "something neat to do". But now? I'm doing it! I'm even running before class two days a week. This morning, I went 1.5 miles without stopping, and I was positively thrilled.

And then it started raining, and I remembered that I was 1.5 miles away from my car. Oops! This Saturday, the training schedule that I'm doing has me running 2 whole miles...we'll wait and see what happens.

I often get so hung up on the things that my body can't do that I end up overlooking the things that it can. Like running, or doing a tough workout. It continues to function even after little or no sleep. (Being in college, that one is sort of important!) It can carry a bunch of canned goods up three flights of stairs. It can trek all over campus without complaining or giving me difficulty. It can do so much!

So, this week, I have been thankful for my body. Because even though I may sometimes see it as flawed, it is incredibly capable.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment